Thursday, October 29, 2009

Garden mysteries


Does anyone remember the summer?  That long hot time when the seeds we planted were growing so fast?
There were two mystery vines that sprouted from a deck planter and flourished in the heat.  One had a fruit the size of a tennis ball and the other had squash-y flowers.  But, all good things must end and I cut them off theeir vines.  I think the ball is a honeydew melon - definitely a compost volunteer  seed - and the other looks like it could have grown to be a pumpkin.  What do you think?





Then, while we were tidying up in the garden, I cut away a bunch of dead goatsbeard stalks.  Underneath I found another mystery!  There was the beginnings of what looks like a tree.  But I really don't know what it is.  The leaves smell sort of soapy.  Kind of like lemon balm but not so lemon-y.  Any ideas?




And right beside it was a lovely plant with mottled arrowhead-shaped leaves.  It looked familiar but I just couldn't think what it could be.




Then I remembered that we had bought some plants at a local plant sale and maybe this was one I'd forgotten about.  Some sleuthing in the garden of origin and it's not a mystery any more.  The beautiful leaves belong to Arum Italica.  It puts up its new leaves in the late autumn which is why I hadn't really noticed it.  That - and it was hiding under a few stalks. In the spring, when the leaves die down, it will have an orange flower.    That's a good mystery to have solved.

4 comments:

Joanna said...

I'm glad to know about the plant with the arrow shaped leaves, since I have a couple in one of my beds. I'll keep my eye out for the flower.

Mimi said...

Hi Stephanie, I like your description "a compost volunteer seed"- that's where we got our potato crop from!
I've not much idea on the fruits, but could the next one with the soapy smell be angelica root? I bought one recently and it looks like that, but I haven't smelled it, I just know what the essential oil from the plant smells like, and it's divine!

Rudee said...

What long, hot summer?

Angie said...

I love it when nature joins in with us gardeners. Just to show who is really boss. I'm pulling out Rock Melon as I would need a paddock instead of my 1m square!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin