Saturday, August 21, 2010

Summer stock

Knitting socks any time makes me happy.  In the summer, it's especially satisfying because it makes me feel virtuous, too.  Like the ant, I'm busily storing for those cold days ahead.  There'll be warm socks every day.   The best part is that in the heat it's pretty hard to do anything but small warm winter-y things.  Like hats, mitts, scarves and - socks!


I've finished the Sweetpea socks and I liked the look of them in the garden so much that's where I took them this morning.  I think they look quite happy in the squash patch.


And I've started my Wowser! socks.  I posted before about these gorgeous twisted, travelling stitch socks.  I didn't choose red, though, because I had a nice bitter lime color in my stash.  The photo doesn't really capture the color. 


This is a whole new technique to me.  It's like cabling but only one stitch at a time - with a twist.  And most of the sock is purled to give the contrast for those beautiful lines.   It's very labor-intensive and takes time.  I watched a movie last night while I did the first part of the pattern - about 8 rows!  I hope I get these done before the snow flies.

Now I think I'll have to get some of those show-off shoes that we all admired in the pattern photo.  These socks will deserve them.

14 comments:

Rose said...

Both sock patterns look lovely. I keep starting scarves as an antidote to all the cotton knitting I've been doing; so hard on my hands.

Jane said...

Beautiful socks! Love the look of those twisted mini cables too.

Mimi said...

The sweetpea ones turned out beautiful, and I agree, they look very happy in the garden!
I still haven't managed to start any knitting, in spite of good intentions (too busy skiting around Europe!), but maybe when winter, or even Autumn, sets in.
I'm off now to the original post to see the shoes you speak of..

Ginny Hartzler said...

The socks are beautiful! Make a second pair, put them on a scarecrow and show them off in your garden. Put him in the sweet peas!

Lindy said...

The sweetpea socks will provide a welcome bit of color during the winter months. They turned out very nice! Really like the pattern and color of your Wowser! socks.

Ciara Brehony said...

Ooh, I do like the look of these! Knitting socks is up there on my list of things to do. Someday!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the socks are wonderful. I still can't get that sweatpea pattern to cooperate with my brain, maybe next time I try it will work. I sure do like them in your garden

Rudee said...

I love those sweat pea socks!

You make me want to cast on a pair of any socks right this minute. Sleeves for that sweater, first!

Rachel Cotterill said...

The sweetpea socks are incredible. I knew they would be :)

Lola said...

All your socks are outstanding but I love those sweetpea ones! Such hard work, congratulations!

Thank you for stopping & have a lovely week,

XOXO LOLA:)

Catherine said...

Hi Stephanie - these look great and I am now tempted to knit socks - haven't made them since school which were dreadful and turning heels left me traumatised it was so bad! Now I've just knit a lovely pair of gloves so I figure a heel should be a doddle! I have some lovely patterns too, and there are lovely ones on Ravelry and online. Hope you enjoy knitting these ones. Catherine

Sharon said...

Love your knits!

Catherine said...

Stephanie - I'm returning to this post as I wonder where the patterns for these socks are available? Are they on Ravelry? I am knitting a lovely lacy pair now and hope I get to the end as it seems a bit complicated in parts. I did succeed in making a lovely pair of lilac socks with daisy chain flowers on the side! I am living in them! Let me know if you have the info on the patterns!
All the best, Catherine

Catherine said...

Stephanie - I'm returning to this post as I wonder where the patterns for these socks are available? Are they on Ravelry? I am knitting a lovely lacy pair now and hope I get to the end as it seems a bit complicated in parts. I did succeed in making a lovely pair of lilac socks with daisy chain flowers on the side! I am living in them! Let me know if you have the info on the patterns!
All the best, Catherine

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin