Sunday, September 28, 2008

Get it right!

It's taken so long to finish this rug. Lots of other things to do since I started it. I can't believe it's taken me since the end of July to get this far. I thought I was done over a week ago. Then I put it down on the floor to just look at it for a while. I usually do this so that I can figure out how it should be bound. But the more I looked at the rug above, the more I wanted to do something about the color balance. There was too much pink and purple on the left. So, I pulled those two diamonds out and tried again. Version 2 is below. I used a leaf green on the left side hoping it would kind of disappear. I put pink on the right to give some color to a dark patch in the 'garden'.


Then I took a picture. I didn't like how the green disappeared into the gray. That was more invisibility than I wanted and the balance was out again. Oh, rats! After looking and looking, I couldn't see how to keep it clear but unobtrusive. Then Anne said it had to be as bright as the pink diamond. I was not convinced but not having a better idea, hooked in a dull aqua piece. Here's the result:

She was right! It looks so much better than before. And it gives even more depth to the frame around the window. Of course, I could have spared myself all this by being more careful with the flower placement. I think I got bored with making them and decided it was OK. I still like this, though.

3 comments:

Rosemary aka fabricfan said...

Third time is a charm. It is lovely. I didn't know you could take out rug hooking.

Rosemary aka fabricfan said...

Just noticed my blog on your sidebar. I am all excited.

Harry and Joanna said...

Hey Steph,
This rug is just gorgeous...as are all those in your slideshow. Maybe I'll get to see your collection sometime.
J

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin