Friday, November 19, 2010

Not Jimmy Choo

If I had to create an audio backdrop to my childhood, I think it would be covered in words.  Specifically, folk sayings.  Growing up,  this was just the way my parents talked.  My Dad's were a bit saltier than my Mom's but hers could be pretty earthy.  None of my friends had parents who talked in sayings.  There was one to suit any occasion.  I finally decided it was because they came from Nova Scotia and no one out on this coast had the same language. 


Recently,  I've been hearing one of my father's more common pronouncements:  "A fool and his money are soon parted",  each time I look at my latest purchase.  You know that this is the most expensive roll of tape I've ever bought!


But then I remember what really sold it to me and I hear my mother's gentler voice saying: "Every little bit helps, said the old woman as she piddled in the sea". 

So, I think my father is mistaken.  I am richer because I smile whenever I see the fun pink shoe on my desk. I have helped even if only in a small way.   And, because I have such a  treasury of sayings that I also use every single day.  Just ask my kids!   I wonder if they also use them?

7 comments:

Rudee said...

No, it's better than a Jimmy Choo shoe because it won't hurt your feet just to look at this. It is adorable.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I'd like to hear more of the sayings. My mom said the fool and his money thing ALL the time, we had sayings, too. I love the tape dispenser, it would cheer me up every time i look at it!

Jeannette StG said...

Your (and anyone's) smile is worth a lot of dollars! That's my humble opinion;)

Cindy said...

Sayings! we learn them from the best and we use them and you bet the kids also use them. I love your tape dispenser.

J.G. said...

If the kids don't yet use your sayings, they WILL. It's only a matter of time.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I have seen these all over the place recently for sale. I even thought about getting one for dd for Christmas, but thought they were a waste of money.....pretty though!!

Gill

Mimi said...

What a wonderful tape dispenser! It took me a few minutes to realise that it wasn't a shoe to wear.
My parents used a lot of sayings too, and we find ourselves using them, and laughing about it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin