Saturday, February 12, 2011

Cast on for the past

Having read one time machine challenge book, I decided it was time to cast on the knit-along lacy stockings from 1953.  Every time I look at the photo, I fall in love with the shoes.  I remember all the older women wore the same black shoes when I was a kid.  I didn't fall in love then.  I prefer to think it's nostalgia - won't go anywhere else with that thought. Do you think that's grass...or a shag rug?


I did read the whole pattern through for a change.  There will be a lot of modifications in this project.


 First up:  these are not knee socks.  They are stockings.  From the pre-pantyhose days.  Yes...they are long stockings that probably required a garter belt.  So, I'll be thinking about how I deal with that.  One way would have been to start at the toes and work up.  But, hey!  That would be too easy.  Besides, I'm not that crazy about toe-up socks.  So, I've decided to knit from a provisional cast-on.  Then I can go back and fill in the butt part and get the legs together.  Buying a garter belt is NOT an option!


Another major mod is knitting the stockings in the round.  These are meant to be knit on two needles and seamed together at the end.  Changing this won't be as hard as it sounds.  I'm a bit surprised, though.  Why wouldn't  they be designed to knit in the round?  So much easier than sewing up that long seam.

10 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Those stockings look very hard and combersome to make!! Well, it looks like shag rug, but you can't really tell!!! Remember the horrid orange and green shags in the '70's? when we moved into this house, the living room had an orange long shag!!

Jeannette StG said...

Do stores even still sell garter belts?? You have a lot of courage making these stocking my friend! Wishing you good luck with this project!

Stephanie V said...

Ginny - yes, we had an orange one at one time, too. Too cool, then!

Jeannette - if I run out and shop quickly, I could get a special Valentine's edition LOL

Joanna said...

It never occurred to me that you could knit stockings. That's quite an ambitious project! I can't decide if it's grass or shag, but I'm thinking carpet. Those shoes though, I still feel about them the way you did when you were little.

Stephanie V said...

Joanna - since it's a knitalong for the reading challenge, I figure I've got a year to get them done.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I guess you'll have to knit a waistband and put elastic in it?

Can't wait to see this finished.

Gill

Empty Nester said...

Weren't seams up the back 'in' back then? Can't wait to see the finished project--you are one talented lady!

Angie said...

I can see they will become todays fashion statement!

Anonymous said...

It looks like a shag carpet or maybe even some rya rug of some sort. My grandma knit stockings as a school child in black, it sounded like to much work for me, but if anyone is up for the challenge it would be you. I'll look forward to the updates.

J.G. said...

I'm thinking shag carpet, too. No nostalgia for those, thank you very much. The stockings look like a fascinating project!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin