Friday, February 4, 2011

Celebration

Gung Hay Fat Choy!  Tonight we're hosting a dinner to celebrate the Chinese New Year at the seniors' center.  There'll be lots of Chinese-style food, a piano entertainer, beer and wine.  Oh, and a 50/50 draw.  This is gonna be fun!


It is, of course, the Year of the Rabbit.  This little fellow was one of the UVic feral rabbits that were the worry of the gardeners and administrators for years.  We found him a couple of years ago in the rhododendron garden. 


We're having take-out from a local Chinese food restaurant.  I'm the delivery girl.  My culinary contribution to the evening is traditional almond cookies.  So simple to make - the hardest part is rolling out all the little balls.


But, I'm up to the best part of baking the cookies:  tasting!   Don't they look pretty?  I have the correct count put aside...we can continue to test the extras.

9 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

The cookies look just lovely!!! Oh, I know you will have a blast!! Perhaps you will post pictures? We usually attend our family's Chinese New Years party, but I don't think she is having one this year.

Jeannette StG said...

Thanks for the reminder of the Chinese New Year of the Rabbit! And I had forgotten about these cookies -I was not too fond of the Chinese cookies when we were there 4 years ago, except for these:)

Andrea said...

Just don't leave them on top of the car! ;)

Rose said...

Yummy looking cookies!! Have fun at the celebration!

Empty Nester said...

The cookies look yummy! And now I want some Chinese food...for breakfast!

Cindy said...

I'm with the emptynester I'll have chinese food for breakfast for and I'll take your almond cookies for dessert. Wait who has dessert after breakfast, oh I just started a new tradition.

Rudee said...

I had Chinese food for dinner last night, but completely forgot about the new year. Can't wait to hear the recap of your evening.

Gill - That British Woman said...

the cookies do look good, but I would pull off the almond, not too keen on whole almonds.....

Gill

Mimi said...

Yummy! I love almonds, especially roasted (or baked?) ones.
Lol re Andrea's comment!
I'm sure the celebration was great fun!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin