Sunday, May 12, 2013

Two Trees; One Ring

I waited and waited for a good moment to take the photos.  It's raining today after a lo-ong spell of summery sunshine.  The plants are very happy and growing but it is very hard to take comparative pictures. 


The maple has sprouted four grown-up looking leaves where there was only one last week.  If I hadn't had the branch marked, I would have been lost as to where I should be shooting.  Even then, I couldn't believe that the leaves looked so very, very different this week.

My umbrella-holding assistant was relieved not to be asked to climb after me when i went after the copper beech.  I have always had to climb over a bank of ground-cover to get to it.  But the ground-cover (geranium macrorhizome) is now at it's most splendid.  The leaves have shot up over a foot and the blossoms are a good bit taller than that.  Those leaves hold the rain so well and I got just a little wet.


But nevergive up.  Intrepid lady explorers must not worry about a drenching when on a mission.  Here is my trophy.  Definitely, a "my how you've grown!" moment.  There is no sign of the chrysalis at all now.  And clearly there were several leaves hiding inside.  Nature is amazing.


Elsewhere in the garden, I found the snow peas and mange-tout growing happily in the rain.  I can't wait to sample them.

3 comments:

Empty Nester said...

So pretty! It must be quite lush up there what with all that rain! So many changes in the trees! Now you need to do a post with just the pictures from the first to now.

Rachel Cotterill said...

Oh, those peas will be so wonderful in harvest season :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, incredible difference.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin