Friday, December 14, 2012

Fifty Fridays #19

Yesterday when I was at the Community Center, there were dozens of gingerbread houses getting ready for the kids to decorate them.  That inspired me.


This is my younger son and his cousins decorating houses before Christmas - probably around 1990.  We did this together for two or three years. The first year, I actually baked the house pieces myself.  After that adventure, I decided it was so much easier to buy the house kits.  It's super hard to get those walls and roof pieces even and straight so that they fit together properly.  I really wasn't meant to be a carpenter!

decorating the houses became a thing to do when school was finished and I needed an activity. Like all good cooks, they needed to do a lot of tasting while they created.  I'm sure my sister was delighted to get her sugar-amped girls back at the end of the day. 

This weekend Christmas can start in this house.  All the outside busy will be ended today. 

2 comments:

Rudee said...

I never have decorated a gingerbread house. I bake every year, but nothing like this. I love that photo! I'm glad for you that your focus can be more internal now. Enjoy!

Mimi said...

Aw, that is such a sweet photo! Like you, I made 1 gingerbread house, and decided the factory-made, even-sided, was easier to deal with! Ikea do a brilliant kit.
The phots reminds me of when my kids used to decorate our Xmas cake; even with lots of eating, there were still always too many decorations for the cake top size!
Is this the son who became a chef?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin