Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cool and calm

It's funny how all winter, I wait for the spring colors. The glorious purples, yellows and orange of crocus and daffodil. The layering of the pinks, reds and blues which come next. I can hardly wait for all that excitement after a dull, gray winter.



But, now, the white flowers have started to shine. And they truly do. I took these photos in the evening when the light was just starting to fade. The backgrounds recede and the daisies and roses spread a kind of peace throughout the garden.



Since this is not Sissinghurst, there was no grand and painterly plan. White just happens each year at the beginning of summer. The garden takes on a calmer aspect and I think it helps reduce our stresses just to walk there in the evening.



Fickle creature that I am I know I'll be just as happy when the colors change again. But for now, white is cool. Really.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

I love what you've written Stephanie. It's so true that the change in colours in the garden makes it always new. My shasta daisies haven't even begun to bloom yet.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin