Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Next Yarnway Challenge

The next challenge for Ravelry's Project Yarnway has been announced.  I first read it two days ago and, well...it's a challenge.

Using materials not sold for the purpose of knit or crochet,  we must come up with a design.  So, naturally my brain has been in overdrive, racing from one pile of fiber to another and trying to choose one.


I have thought of everything from grass to wire to leather and everything in between.  The trouble is, I want to make lace. I seem to have a mental block for anything else.   I know! I'm already stuck in a brain rut. 


When I was a very little girl, we often visited some older friends of my parents.  Two things I remember about their house.  One, Mr. had an aviary outside which was full of budgies.  I didn't enjoy his passion as much as I did hers, though.  Mrs. had a collection of ceramic figurines all over her living room.  Oh, I loved to look at them.  Especially, the Dresden maids with their lace skirts and ruffles.  They were a source of beauty and wonder to me. 


I never lost my fascination for lace.  And lace is one of the things I like to incorporate into knitting.  The ways that a few stitches can create so many different patterns never ceases to amaze me.  I like to watch the pattern emerge and grow.  Somehow, the magic never gets old.

The drawing board is still blank but that doesn't mean that my brain's not whirring.  It'll come.  I just hope that I have enough time to make whatever I dream up before the end of March deadline.

Enough talk...need some action!  Good thing there's a sock on the needles. 


* photo of the figurine was borrowed from antiquehelper.com

7 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have almost exactly the same porcelin girl that has been handed down in our family! I don't know how they are made, because it looks like real lace. What an exciting challenge! My mind is already whirring, trying to think of suggestions. My blog post today is especially for you, check it out. By the way, what I didn't put on the post was that the project took 28 years of knitting to do it.

Anonymous said...

My milnld is whirling as well, I know for sure that I won't be doing lace.

Sunita Mohan said...

I wish you had access to banana fibre. Weavers here have been experimenting with it and weaving beautiful fabric which looks like silk. Its made from the pseudostem of the banana plant which is usually thrown away after the fruit is harvested. They scrape off the pulpy part of the layers that make up the stem and dry the fibre to use for weaving.
Best of luck with the challenge!

Angie said...

The only thing that came to mind was 'hair'. Good luck!
Love the photo of the fishing nets.

Rudee said...

I'd rather steek...

Hmmm. Some fine wire for a bracelet? Have you ever knit with metals? You could cut up plastic grocery bags for a lacy effect grocery bag. It'll be durable. Or, you could do a plastic bag for carrying wet things when you spend a day in and around the water.

Stephanie V said...

Ginny - thanks for the post. It was amazing.

Sunita - I wish I could see that banana fiber. It sounds quite beautiful - and from an unexpected source.

Angie - I've been thinking hair, too. I was doing up some Barbies today and wondering how their hair would look knit into a scarf.

Rudee, fabricfan - the possibilities are truly unlimited. I just have to settle down and pick something. But then, someone goes and suggests something new...oh, here I go again.

April said...

Good Luck with your challenge! String, dental floss, ribbon - as you say, the possibilities are endless.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin