Friday, April 9, 2010

Procrastination

What do you do when there are deadlines to be met?

Right now, I have an agenda to plan, annual meeting reports to write, a sock-knitting workshop to prepare for tomorrow and I should be designing my Project Yarnway bag.


But, I'd rather do some silly and unnecessary knitting.  Last week, when were at the yarn store, Deb and I saw this weird and totally wonderful yarn called Cocoon.   Deb bought a discounted ball to make a scarf.


Later, at home, we were talking about I-cord which is one of my favorite knitting tricks.  One word led to another and before you could say EZ, I was casting on to see if I could reproduce the 'cocoons' with short I-cord sections.


As you can see, it's a poor second cousin and I won't be making a lot of it in a hurry.  It's fiddly (you have to CO, knit, knit, knit, then BO and tie it before repeating the process for each one) but kind of addictive - like I-cord is.  But, I think it could be used as a trim.  Maybe knit up on its own it could produce the massed cocoon-effect of the knitted scarfs or it might be knit into a fabric in progress as a contrast color and/or texture.


OK...I really do have to get to those other things.  Those deadlines aren't very elastic.

* top two photos from www.yarnmarket.com

7 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

You didn't buy any? But you must hurry while there are still some discounted! I'd love to see what you can do with it! I see you are more disciplined than me!

Mimi said...

A knitting trick I haven't heard of? Now that's exciting!
Good luck with the reports and other stuff- I absolutely hate writing reports!

Rudee said...

I love how one thing always leads to another when knitting. Tell me, which sock workshop are your going to? I'm so jealous.

Stephanie V said...

Ginny - I was happy to wait and see what Deb would make.

Mimi - here's a link to a video on making I-cord:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcG6pqeJA

Rudee - I'm actually teaching the workshop. I'll post on it later.

Gill - That British Woman said...

what exactly do you do with an I-cord? Remember I do not knit, so sorry for the silly questions!!

Gill in Ontario

Stephanie V said...

Gill - I-cord is a round cord knit on two needles. It's used as purse straps, garment ties, drawstrings or even knitted on as a 3D trim.

Mimi said...

Thanks Stephanie, I'll go look at it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin