Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday Wonders - G


G is for Gastropod.
Sometimes, I have a great photo and I have to search for a word.  More likely, a great word pops into my brain and I have to find the photos. 


This week's word didn't actually pop into my mind.  It was sort of  just...there.  Waiting.  And, since I like snails and slugs, I know that there will be at least one great photo to share.  But, look!  I have two of each.  This is a local - and very common - snail tucked into a leaf of hellebore right in our front garden. 


And, from  much further away: we found this snail hanging out on a rail at the University College Cork in Ireland.  They do look quite different.


Slugs are not everyone's favorite animal, but this leopard slug from Salt Spring sland is very pretty.  In a sluggish sort of way.


And, closer to home: a Banana slug just doing its best to clean up the forest floor.   I really do like these forest creatures.
 However, I am not so fond of the common garden slugs that eat the tender green plants.  As you can see, I have NO photos of them. 



6 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

I have to agree with you, Stephanie. Slugs may have a certain ick factor for me, but I am compelled to watch their slow progress whenever I see them. I have never seen a leopard slug.

My puppy brought in a snail shell yesterday with what appeared to be a dried snail husk. I soaked it in water hoping to soften it and clean it out more easily but no such luck. I tossed it back outside. He'll probably bring it in again. Hah.

Rose said...

Love your nature photos, as always. Also love the knitted skirt and am looking forward to seeing it when you are finished!

Rudee said...

Imagine my surprise on this post when I thought you'd be writing of gastro PUBS! I kind of like that black and white specimen. It's beautiful, but sadly seems to lack camouflage!

Susan Kane said...

I have never read a post on slugs and snails. Loved the one from Cork! Is he edible, I wonder?

Lisa Southard said...

I had three African snails given to me, which were lovely pets. Very found of snails, not overly sure about slugs! If I find them near my plants they win themselves a short trip to next door's chickens...

Rachel Cotterill said...

I have to be honest, I'm not a fan of the slimy ones. Although I also won't pour salt on them as some do!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin