Monday, May 2, 2011

Get out and vote!

Today we vote for a new government here in Canada.  No matter what party we vote for I doubt it will be very new and exciting. What would be exciting is a new way of work.  I hope that whoever gets the biggest 'tick' will choose governing over political posturing.

I get that politics can be a dirty business.  But government shouldn't be.  I believe that the party politics should be left outside in the mud room of the Parliament buildings.  Everyone that WE elect is there to make Canada a better place for us all.  I believe that every MP believes that.  I believe that's why each one of them stood up for the last few weeks and let everyone take potshots  at their reputations. 

But somehow, our politicians can't seem to leave the dirt outside where it belongs.  They can't play nicely together to just get things done. 

I believe that's the message that most Canadians would like to send:  Just Get Down to Working For Us!
Stop wasting time and money, co-operate and compromise even if you have to hold your nose. That's the way we all work together.  Why is a government any different?

So, I'm voting this morning.  I wouldn't dream of not doing so even if I don't get what I want.  I can't imagine why anyone would give up such a privilege/responsibility.  People are dying all over the world for the ability to choose.  If you don't vote when you can, don't let me hear you whining about the result. 

9 comments:

Empty Nester said...

Are you sure you aren't talking about American politicians?

Andrea said...

I, for one, am excited to see if we can get a change in our riding - I think it's possible and I will definitely be voting after work!

Peg said...

I voted!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have seen videos on T.V. of grown men punching wach other out in Parliment meetings. This wasn't in Canada or the U.S., though. I always vote, and am registered. But, the last presidential election I did not vote. This was because I did not like either man. And If I voted for the lesser of the two evils, so to speak, I would still be voting against my heart for someone I didn't believe in. I couldn't believe it had come to that point, and it was a sad election day when I had no one to root for. Now with maybe Donald Trump in the running....has the world gone mad??? Don't even get me started!!

Cindy said...

I decided to run out an vote early this am, so I could spend the rest of the day on the back roads of PEI with my hand held and geocache. I have never gotten as many calls to action as I did this past week, invites to elective breakfast, evening speeches, lunch and lurn political party, the list goes on. So today the phone didn't stop, I was getting reminder calls to go and vote, it took the cake when the conservative party called and asked if they could pick me up and drive me to the poling station if I hadn't a ride there. Hum, this was a few steps past gett'n it done.
I was proud to say, "no, I already voted first thing this morning." now let me play....

Rudee said...

Caring and being involved by voting is the most important thing about a democracy. To this day, people are dying for the rights we take for granted.

SquirrelQueen said...

You could easily be talking about American politicians. I suppose they are the same all over. It would be nice if they would actually do the job we elect them for and knock off the fighting among themselves.

Anonymous said...

The message can be used to danish politicians too!
Later this year we are going to vote, and yes, we all ought to do it!!
Have a great week ;-)

Margo Kelly said...

ah. voting is a wonderful right.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin