Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Another day, another amazing scene

So much to see...this place is BIG.  For the past couple of days we've been on the move going from cultural  history to  scenery. 


Here we are playing Twister in four states.  


This is an old ruin of a watchtower in Hovenweep which wasn ancient a community spread out along two sides of this canyon.  It was hot, hot, hot walking along the canyon rim on these rocks.


A view from above.  Gooseneck Park has been  caused by the steady wearing away of the rocks by the river far below.  It's very hard to show the depth in a photo.  It's a long way down.


The sunrise view from our hotel window in Monument Valley.


 This is Lucy.  She weaves rugs in traditional patterns.  Her loom is made as it would have been long ago.  Here she is carding the sheep wool which she spins on a knee spindle.  The man in the red shirt is Erwin, our driver.


If this scenery looks familiar, it means you've seen a lot of John Wayne movies.  Almost every one was filmed here.  Again, it's hard to get the feeling of this place in pictures.  You really do have to be here.  There is so much space...so few people.  Every rock is huge.  Nature has created the most fantastic shapes which the Navajo people have woven into their legends and belief system.


This is known as the Ear of the Wind.  The tree is right in front of the camera - the hole in the rock is far away and very large.  The stunning blue sky contrasts with the red rock.


After another long day, it's great to shower, pick up the knitting and relax with a cold one on the balcony.

10 comments:

Joyful said...

Fabulous scenery! I wish I could have one of those woven rugs but I know they are very expensive and they take so long to make. A true treasure.

Annie Jeffries said...

Oh, wow. I was so excited to see your photo of the interior of the hogan and Lucy at her loom. Back in 1972, I was in Monument Valley and had the privlege of entering a hogan, working at the loom of the lady of the house and watching sheep being sheered. It was an amazing experience and oh, the glorious smell of the cedar logs lining the interior. Unforgetable.

Angie said...

I can only see 3 pics but you do seem to be having a great time - hope it all keeps up.

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

I'm glad you're having such a great time! The pictures are awesome.

Catherine said...

Looks like you're having a marvellous holiday - I would love to see places like those - and I love that you pick up your knitting at the end of the day! Just my thing too! Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday - the cave dwellings in your earlier post are amazing!

Ginny Hartzler said...

My favorites are #3, #4 and #7. But it was really hard to choose. This may be my favorite post of yours ever, so many cool things to see!!! I love where you both have your feet in different states, so cool!!! Why is it called The Ear Of The Wind? Does the wind make a sound going through or something?

Empty Nester said...

Wow, those pictures are stunning! Love the name ear of the wind- so pleasant sounding. I thought that one looked like something out of a John Wayne movie! LOL

Farm Girl said...

It looks so wonderful. Man, it makes me want to go on vacation.

Unknown said...

In that heat it really is great to have a shower! We went in the 70ties when I wasn't taking pics like now -so I'm glad you're sharing!

Lindy said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I love that sunrise photo. That's a fantastic capture of the river at Goosneck. Did you stand right on the edge? ;-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin