Saturday, September 3, 2011

Saturday Stash

Here we go again...another week of trying to reduce that stash.  Have to confess that this week it was more little stuff.  No, not for little people.  Small items for big people.  Well, not exactly big people.  Oh, you know what I mean.


 Rosie is first up.  She's all ready to  introduce the theme for today's report.  Can you guess?


Here's another clue.  I had a skein of lovely red wool which I figured would be perfect for Joy Gerhardt's cute beanie, Interwoven.  It looks like it has a brim but that's just because Nefetiti's head is not quite life-size.


And, I had another skein of red wool.  Different color, different yarn but I'd become smitten with hats.  So here's my beret from Mary Veterano's pattern, Beckett.   It may not make it to the gift box.  I really like this one. 


While I was on the beret trail, I thought:  why not make a purple one, too?  So, here is my version of Page Selinksky's Step Lively.   All are very easy really.  If you can knit, purl and make a cable,  you can do this.

So, the theme.  All week this poem has been swirling in my brain:


WARNING
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens . . .


But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

 Now, I don't think I will go out and become a Red Hat Lady, but it was curious that these colors just popped into my hands.  Is there a message here, somewhere?

That's the stash report for this week.  I've crossed some more lines off the inventory and now I'm off for some R&R at Karen G's big Labor Day BBQ.  If you want some great food and to meet some new folks, hop on over to her place at Coming Down the Mountain.  You better bring something to throw on the grill though.  There'll be lots of company. I'm taking a salmon - and my knitting.  Those long stockings are getting longer. 
Have a great time this weekend!



5 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

These colors are not the kind you usually choose, they are braver and bolder, a good match to the poem!!! But they are wonderful, I just LOVE them!! Did you make the octopus from the same yarn as the purple beret? I am in love with the octopus, the first hat and the purple beret!!! These stash projects are almost cooler than your regular ones, now you need to build up more and start all over!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

The red hat is very trendy right now. Looks so cute!

Empty Nester said...

Ok, DoodleBug wants to know how to knit the octopus. And I might want to know that as well. LOL Beautiful as always!

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

Love the hats - have one on my list of projects to do.

Anonymous said...

I have printed out a couple of hat patterns this week, great reds.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin