Sunday, September 18, 2011

Cliff dwelling



Today began with a gorgeous sunrise...it was going to be a beautiful day.


We were off to experience the perils of living in a village built under a cave just below the mesa.  This one is called Cliff Palace and is dated about 1265AD. Looks like a model, I think, so far below us. There are many, big and small, around this canyon.


 Up through narrow passages in the rocks...


Down steep stone staircases cut into the side of the cliff...

Along the path beside the cliff...


Right to the village...


Then we climbed three 10 foot wooden ladders to get back to the top.  The ancient people would have just climbed up the rock with toe- and hand-holds. 


After all that work, a picnic lunch was welcome.


We had some bird friends come to see what we had to offer.  The scrub jays liked the peanuts we bought just for them.



The white-breasted nuthatch didn't really pay much attention to us.   Isn't he pretty?


We saw more ancient houses and even walked around in one.  Good thing the roof was missing - I wouldn't have been standing up like tis.


Last view for today: a lovely mountain aster.They are so pretty growing in clumps among the trees and the grasses.  Like ittle purple clouds.  It's impossible to capture the colors except in a close-up.  Imagine lots and lots of them.

And now I'm off to bed.  It's been a long day.








9 comments:

Angie said...

Wow great to see these photos. You seem to having a wonderful time (don't think I could have made that climb!!) Keep it up.

Cindy of PEI said...

You might have to explain this to me now that I'm so interested. This does look like a model, fabulous pictures by the way and so then I follow you through the rock and down the ladder and we sit and someone is explaining. This still looks like a model not a village.

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

Wonderful pictures, you must be having a great time.

Joyful said...

Wow! That is a great experience you had there. I don't think I could make that climb up and down now but boy I'd sure love to if I could.

Mimi said...

It does look like a model village in the first pic, but then to see you climbing down the steps, completely different.
I'm guessing it's a guided tour you're on?
And the flowers in the middle of all that must've been a lovely sight to behold.
You're having the trip of a lifetime!

Rudee said...

What an amazing journey you're on! The pictures are wonderful.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh my word!! Did you take that amazing second picture? I'm impressed yet aghast at your physical ability to do all this,but maybe its just that I am so far away from being able to do it. Some of those things look so scary, with drop-offs and tight spaces. You are fearless!!!! This adventure is really cool for a knitting grandma!!!

Unknown said...

I'm following you on your journey! Some quite narrow places:)

Lindy said...

I'm glad you were able to experience the ruins up close and personal. Depending on the park, it's not always possible to get that close. I love the image looking down into the village with the desert varnish staining the cliff.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin