Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Little rug

Here's a very little rug (12x12") that I've just finished. It was a housewarming gift for Fabric Stash who also likes to knit socks.

I'm discovering that I'm not very good at creating a design on paper and sticking to it. This little mat really demonstrated that. I drew my design on paper. I drew it out on the backing - in ink - and then I totally changed it. The sock and the ball of yarn were pretty easy to get the way I wanted. The background - not so much.

I had a vision of 3 inch squares which would be two different shades of green. I had a bright spring green which had been used to dye another fabric with salt transfer. I wanted to use it with the original green fabric so that the greens would be in the same green range. But as I was hooking it, I realized it wasn't looking as interesting as I had thought it would.

I tried adding a third green which was darker and more grassy. This just looked so busy I had to abandon that concept. My instincts were confirmed when Anne also said it had to change. So, out came all the strips and I created a pattern with the hooking direction and the grass green. Then I made a wider than normal border with an even darker, forest green. And that looked exactly right. I'm quite pleased with the result.

Clearly, I need the trial and error approach.

4 comments:

Penny said...

Very nice! The design may have taken time to develop, but it's perfect. The strand of yarn adds movement but also a frame.

Rosemary aka fabricfan said...

Thanks so much, I hadn't photographed it and I should have mentioned it in my post.

Heather G. said...

It's wonderful! I will keep my eyes peeled for it the next time I visit Rosemary.

(I go by Choephora on Ravelry)

Anonymous said...

Excellent design - it looks balanced and flows, and is not busy!

Teresa

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin