Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Me and the Magic Loop

I did it!  Remember that this was my challenge this month for Project Yarnway?   I had to learn a new technique.  When you've been knitting as long as I have, it's pretty hard to find something I haven't tried - at least once. For the design part of the challenge - that's what this is all about - we had to create a beginner's project.


I have never tried using a circular needle - aka Magic Loop - to knit a sock.  Even better, I've never knit two socks at once.  So, I decided this would be IT.   I have a student lined up for the summer - right, Deb?  And I set up a workshop at our community center for next spring.  Lots of time to perfect this thing.


So, now that it's all done, I've figured out that the hardest part to figure out is the cast-on instructions.  Turning the heel is tricky but not hard.  And everything else kind of falls into a rhythm after a few rows.  My teaching design is actually 2 pair of little socks.  Hard to be original when that is your task. They might fit a newborn...they do fit my big baby doll model.   Since keeping track of the yarn was challenging at first, I figured using two colors would help.  It does - then you have to knit the other set.  This can be a kind of reinforcing exercise, though, so it works.  And with only 24 stitches for each sock it's pretty fast to knit up.


And, now that I've finished that challenge the next one has been announced.  What would we design for a fantasy vacation?  I'm thinking, it's probably something summery - that would be a fantasy around here right now.  But maybe, I'd like to go to outer space...hmmm.  I'm thinking.

6 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

These socks are just adorable! I always love your colors. I'm sure this project would confuse me to no end, but you got the hang of it right away. I can't wait to see your idea for a fantasy vacation, I know it will be really pretty and interesting.

Anonymous said...

I love these little socks. The vacation will be a fun one to think up, my brain is churning out the ideas.

deb said...

Yep! I'm all signed up for my summer knitting course! Can't wait to go sock yarn shopping. :)

Lola said...

Such terrific socks - wonderful colours! You´re so talented!

Thanks for visiting - have a lovely weekend!

XOXO LOLA:)

PS Best wishes to beautiful Vancouver!

Jeannette StG said...

Those baby socks are darling.
Are socks easier with a round needle? (I've used them for knitting hats)
I've made short socks, but the most challenging was the amount of stitches at the beginning (leg)- ripped it out about 7 times, but never got a good fit -too tight or too loose -how do you get the right fit? (adult socks)

EG CameraGirl said...

Those tiny socks are delightful! It's hard to believe how tiny baby's feet really are. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin