Thursday, June 24, 2010

Midnight sun

The end of the month is approaching and I am working on the June challenge for Project Yarnway.  I don't feel as feverish as I usually do - must be doing something wrong.  Or it may be that I'm making socks which is so relaxing.  Of,course, I'm not done yet so I shouldn't be counting those chickens  socks, yet.

Our challenge is to design something to be used on a fantasy vacation.  Mine is a total fantasy - and involves snow which I don't much like at all.  A couple of years ago, my daughter went on a dog-sledding 'vacation' - I think it was actually pretty hard work.  But it also sounded like a lot of fun and if I were a few years younger might consider it but now it's only a dream.



I figured I might want a pair of warm apres-sled socks to wear while knitting after a hard day mushing the dogs.  So, I used my hand-dyed yarn which reminded me of Northern Lights and some soft sunny yellow that Teresa gave me for the trims.  There will be big knit balls on the ends of the laces...I'm not sure about the bind-off across the toe: I was hoping it would balance the garter stitch in the plackets.  The toes are short-row and I could graft the stitches for a smoother top.  What do you think?

Of course, I'm not happy unless I'm right down to the wire.  I also plan to knit a pair of fingerless mitts in case it's cold knitting at night.   They should be pretty quick knitting, though - we'll see next week.

9 comments:

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh my do they ever look warm. They would be great for our cold New England winters

Ginny Hartzler said...

You haven't posted any of your knitting in quite a while. These are so very unusual and appealing, socks with laces!! Have you ever seen ones like that? What else I really love is the so pretty yellow scallops around the edge. As usual, your color choices are always so pretty.

Andrea said...

They definitely would have kept my feet toasty warm while I was knitting by the fire apres-sledding!

Rudee said...

I adore those socks! Though Leo won't ever pull a sled, he could. He pulls me on a walk every day!

me ann my camera said...

The socks look grand and the yellow trim makes them very inviting. I love the fantasy theme... such a fun idea.

Gill - That British Woman said...

those look so neat, and perfect to wear after a day on the slopes, or even after a day of gardening in the Fall......

Well done.

Gill

Anonymous said...

Those socks look lovely! The yellow trim adds a perfect whimsical touch.

Teresa

Glennis said...

Very creative, and useful too, these would be very warm and cosy. Love the wool colours.

Mimi said...

They're lovely, Stephanie!
I could picture wearing them, sitting in front of a huge fire, nursing a huge hot port.
That wouldn't leave a free hand for knitting, but who cares?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin