Saturday, July 2, 2011

Saturday Stash Summary

Whew!  I feel good!  Like you do after a great cardio workout.  Tired but very, very virtuous.  I've finished the stash prep and, today, you get to follow me through the last three days.


Stage 1.  Shock therapy.  I just went around the house pulling out any yarn from wherever it was hiding.  I figured the best thing to do was just dump it all in the middle of the floor.  That was probably the moment I questioned my sanity. 


Stage 2.  Sorting.  I had no idea where to begin...it was daunting.  By color?  By fiber?  Because I could dither forever, I made a quick executive decision and started pulling out by fiber content.  I realized after a few minutes that I could also sort by weight.  I managed a small bag of actual garbage at this point.  Who knows why I kept a one meter piece of ribbon yarn? 


Stage 3.  Purging.  Once it was all sorted, I started to decide what was worth keeping.  That is, what I would actually use.  Not could use...that's what got me into this mess.  Five big bags were destined for the thrift shop.  This is mostly the acrylics and baby yarn.  Over the years, I've been the recipient of two or three batches of 'estate yarn'.  These women did a lot of acrylic yarn knitting!  Most all of the wool and cotton I kept.  Everything was bagged, tagged and placed in boxes.  This was just for overnight tidiness.


Stage 4.  Finding storage.  This was way easier than I thought it was going to be.  I took my trusty pen and paper - in the end this was the easiest way - and I recorded the contents of each bag and where it was being placed.  All of it fit into two chests!  This was the most gratifying part of the whole exercise. 


Hoarding horror story - or hilarious, depending on your point of view.  Remember that birthday we just celebrated?  Well, I found a wee dress that I had started knitting for her and never finished.  With one sleeve left to knit, I lost the pattern.  This package has been lovingly stored in various houses as I've moved and I think it's time I finished it.   I have looked through my old patterns that I've colleected over the past 40 few years and, no luck.  By now, though, I think I have the experience to be able to just copy the existing sleeve. 


Of course, playing with all that yarn has put at least a half-dozen projects in my head that need to be started right now!   I know I've made a six-month pledge but it could be a lot longer than that if I planned to use it all up. Obviously, the lace-weight yarns are a lifetime of work all by themselves.  The stash Choco-vanilla Swirl skirt is coming along nicely.  I can't put it down for fear I'll never start it again.  The knitting is incredibly boring with the short-row gussets giving momentary respite before the long slog starts again.

I hope to have these projects completed and others started for next Saturday's report. 

14 comments:

Jane said...

Wow, Stephanie! This is inspiring. I just went through the Little Guy's bedroom, so it might be time to deal with the stash next.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, that first picture of all the yarn is amazing!! Was it just all over the house in different places? I always feel so much better when things are straightened up and where I can find them. The skirt sounds so boring, I think if it's no fun, why do it? Life is too short...of course it will be pretty when you are done, though.

Mimi said...

It all looks well organised now1 A stash that you would go to now, so it was worthwhile (if tiring) getting it organised.

SELVIDGE by Rachida S said...

And I thought my yarn was taking over the house... I tidied my yarn this week, and I sorted them by fibre. However, there is a little voice in my head, telling me to sort them by colour, but I'm adament that I will ignore it :)

Empty Nester said...

Whoa. That's a LOAD of yarn! You could open up a shop!

Catherine said...

Wow that's an impressive stash! I've just knitted a stash jumper and have a basket hidden under the clothes drying rack overflowing with wool allsorts incl. acrylic but also sock and cotton yarn. Time for a tidy up I'd say - my basket and wool rack stand are full and I've mislaid a crochet hook which will necessitate a total clean-up to search for! You're an inspiration!
Catherine xxxx

Stephanie V said...

Jane - I've cleaned boys' rooms and I always thought a front-end loader would be handy.

Ginny - all I can say is "no pain, no gain"

Mimi - it does feel good to be organised

Rachida - the color sorting just didn't work for me. I know that others swear by it, though. BTW, I'm having no success commenting on yours.

Pam - Not sure anyone would want to buy what I have left LOL

Catherine - I seem to be having that inspirational effect on people. It's amazing how the yarn continues to grow when you're not looking.

Rudee said...

I admire your sticktoitiveness!

Nobody understands the issue like the rest of us fiberholics. It's so inspiring to have it all organized. I haven't bought too much yarn lately, and I credit the organization of stash for that.

The skirt is looking so pretty, Stephanie. Keep on slogging through the boring bits.

Jeannette StG said...

Oh, the skirt does look like a lot of work1 But I hope you get in the mood one day to finish that baby dress (too cute!). And...happy Canada Day!

Angie said...

Oh, Stephanie - you have enough to knit a bus!!! Guerilla Knitting is doing well in Vancouver http://www.compostdiaries.com/2011/05/11/guerilla-knitting/

Stephanie V said...

Rudee - I'm taking a mental health break and spending time with a pretty pink sock.

Jeanette - my daughter is quite keen to see this dress finished, too.

Angie - I'm not a big fan of most guerilla knitting. I think a lot of my stash knitting will go to the seniors' craft shop.

Anonymous said...

Lovely little dress from years ago, akso the skirt is coming along nicely. Well done in getting it sorted into two chests. Since we moved I have gone through the wool stash and resorted a couple of times.

April said...

Love your stash of yarn and the little dress that was lost and found again.

Annie Jeffries said...

Oh my gosh. WHAT a lot of stuff. You could open a store.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin