Thursday, July 14, 2011

Tiny dress

It does seem so impossibly small.  When I measure it, though, it would fit a wee girl 6 to 9 months old.  Maybe even a year.


When we last saw our knitting heroine, she had one finished sleeve and no pattern in hand.  After many, many attempts to reproduce the pattern, this knitter has given up.  I think that the stitch pattern wasn't executed properly.  Try as I might, I just can't seem to figure it out.  It looks very easy - like a mock cable rib.  The kind of stitch that Patons is famous for in so many of its baby knits.  But, whatever error I made 40 years ago, I can't for the life of me do again.  So, Plan B.  I put the simple chevron lace pattern that's in the dress with the garter stitch hem into two new sleeves.  They're not as dainty as the original but I think that the design is more coherent now.  I couldn't really understand why the ribby sleeve when there was no other reference to that pattern in the dress.


The next challenge is the shoulders and neck.  How the heck is a mom supposed to get baby's head through this neckhole? Even dainty wee girl babies have big heads.  So,  I think I'll knit rib plackets on each side of the shoulder once the dress is put together.  The last (first) shoulder shaping section can be sewn to support the sleeve seam.  Then a couple of buttonholes and teeny buttons.  And it'll be finished.  Piece o' cake. 

Remind me again why it's followed me around all these years?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

You're so right about the head - from painting I know a baby's head is one fifth of body height, whereas an adult's is only one seventh! Looks like this is going to be a lovely dress!

Madeleine Sara said...

It looks absolutely lovely. You could add buttons to the shoulder so she can get it on and off :O)

Joanna said...

It's really very sweet--and very small! Amazing to see what our babies wore when they were brand new.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Looking good so far, be sure and show us the finished product. How adorable it would look on a baby. What will you do with it? Perhaps you are waiting on a new addition to the family??

Mimi said...

It's cool that you're able to adjust it and I too think the lace will work better.
Shoulder buttons seem a good idea to me, anythingthat makes it easy to get on and off has got to be a blessing.
Good work, Stephanie!

Empty Nester said...

I can't believe you can figure all that out. I got lost with your explanation. LOL

Angie said...

Think I'll stick to my art!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have come up with a good solution. It will be lovely.

Ciara Brehony said...

Absolutely adorable!

Rachel Cotterill said...

Have you decided who it's for? Or does it depend on when it gets finished...? :)

Cindy said...

I think you do a beautiful job, and can't imagine heading out there without a pattern... I'll stick to what I know Paper is my speed for now.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin