Friday, July 8, 2011

Such a pleasure!

It's been a little over a year since I began to realize a childhood dream.  We acquired a keyboard and I had an opportunity to take piano lessons with a great teacher who had retired from kids and only worked with adults.


This has been my instrument up until last week- note the add-on concert music stand.  This is a 20 year-old keyboard with 5 octaves and no pedals.  I have had weekly lessons with summers off.  I have practiced and practiced.  Our teacher hosts a monthly workshop for all her students where we play for each other.  This was pretty scary at first, since I was the only student who was starting from the beginning.  I had to learn to read music as well as how to play.  Most of the others were returning to the piano having had lessons as kids.  But, now there are a couple more beginners whom I can encourage.  The workshops are a joy with many different levels of skill being shared. 


Now, I have a new instrument.  Oh, my!  What a difference it makes.  This is a real piano.  Well, it is a digital piano but that doesn't make it less real to me.  It  sounds  - and looks - like a piano should and it makes me want to play it.  And I do.  I'm still learning the basics but I feel way more grown up now. The music has gotten more interesting over the year though still pretty simple. 

I try to get an hour a day to practice which pretty much flies by.  I've gotten some great advice from other pianists.  Here are my favorite three:  play some scales every day (if nothing else);  never miss a chance to perform in front of others;  and play duets whenever possible.  These have been very helpful to me as I navigate my small corner of the world of music. 

 And now, I'm off to play.   

10 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I can really tell a difference in the pianos! And now I want a video of you playing!! What kinds of music do you play?

Empty Nester said...

How completely wonderful! I'm so glad you are doing this! I agree about the scales- I played them and played them and played them! But I hated piano lessons and the teachers I had---mean women...MEAN. So I quit. Of course, now I wish I had stayed with it. What I'd love to learn now is the cello- my favorite instrument. DD1 plays- maybe I'll get her to teach me!

Penny McKinlay said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful achievement.

Angela said...

The fact that you are learning to play the piano as an adult shows just how truly young at heart you are.

Anonymous said...

Those digital keyboards are amazing, you will have lots of fun.

Unknown said...

Oh, doesn't a complete instrument make a difference! So happy for you!!

Paws on the Run said...

Very cool! Congrats on the new piano!

Tonja said...

That's awesome! I tried violin lessons as an adult (my mid life crisis), but failed miserably. It wasn't for me. But it inspired my daughter to play.

Rudee said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying your dreams. I think you should record a recital for us!

Anonymous said...

As the others I'm sure you will get lots of wonderful times with this digital piano ;-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin