Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunday wonder - M

M is for Mansions.


This is the only mansion I've ever been in:  Muckross House near Killarney in Ireland.  It was very impressive and I know that I would certainly be very well-muscled if I had to go up and down stairs and through the miles of corridors each and every day.  The servants would be even more trim.  As we looked and listened on the tour, I wondered how they kept the food hot as it was carried for what seemed like miles from the kitchens to the dining room.

Whether the food is still hot is not something the dweller of this mansion has to worry about. I'm sure that the swallow is as happy with this dwelling place as is the wealthy family.


Someone long ago built this to live in with his family.  Perhaps it was a mansion to them.  


We created this mansion for our squash vines the other day.  We had an old wicker shelving unit  that was no longer needed.  With the shelves and side panels removed it seemed like the perfect addition to the garden.  Especially with a little roof of wicker to shade the plant from the hot sun.  Actually, that was left on because taking them off was becoming too much work.

Even though it could get a little breezy and damp, I'm drawn to the squash mansion with its view of the daisies.  How about you?

7 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

How wonderfully clever to take the shelves out and use it in the garden! It looks great, like it was meant for there. You have taken re purposing to new heights! I love the shacks on the prairie. At least that is what it looks like. They could be a painting. Where are they? Do you have a wider picture of the rest of the area? It is so plaintive, and stirs many, many emotions.

Empty Nester said...

What an absolutely marvelous post! I'm so jealous of your squash- ours didn't make it again this year. :(

Rudee said...

My squash needs a mansion, too! If I had my pick of dwellings, I'd take the first one, but only if someone else cleaned, paid the electric and heat bills, etc. I just want to hang out there. Imagine all that space for fiber!

Angie said...

Every Man's Home is His Castle!

Mimi said...

I have to admit that I'd like just a wing of Muckross house, but like Rudee, only if someone else would do the cooking and cleaning!
You're so clever with your interpretation the alphabet challenge, Stephanie.
Enjoyed this post, a lot, and love to see you still posting photos from Ireland!

Anonymous said...

I love those derelict wooden buildings they have such an eerie quality :O)

Cindy said...

Great idea, wicker in the garden is always nice. I often take pictures of old barns and homes, they have so much character. I visited Newport mansions about 2 years ago and I'm still in aw over it. Fantastic

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin