Saturday, January 17, 2009

Book to Cross

I've just finished Paul Bowles' : "The Spiders House" . An intriguing study of the city of Fez in Morocco just as the French colonial government is being overthrown. The story is well-written and the plot while moving slowly, is compelling, as are the characters. I felt as though I were right there, in Fez, surrounded by dusty olive trees, baked by the sun and constantly having to tread a minefield of treachery on all sides.

I have emerged at the end of this novel with enlightenment. I understand, I think, the concept of 'surrender' that is Islam. And, while the mindset of 1955 may not be the same as today, Islam is such an unchanging faith that I'm reasonably sure that many jihadists would share it today.

I'm going to be releasing this book (BookCrossing) - anybody want to catch it?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin