Thursday, January 1, 2009

Recycling




The jacket that came in our Christmas box is now on its way to becoming a rug. This is the journey every garment takes when I recycle it.

It takes about an hour and a sharp pair of scissors to separate the jacket into pieces. Then I wash the pieces in hot water and throw them in the dryer to full the fabric. I then cut the fabric into 1/4" strips. And I hook them into the burlap.

There's no design on this backing yet because I was impatient to see how the checks would hook up. I really like it - reminds me of a mountain stream: grays and browns like the rocks with a bit of pale green. I think I could hook a whole rug with this alone and it would look pretty good. Can't say that about every garment that comes my way.



















2 comments:

Penny McKinlay said...

Oh, that's lovely. Such warm, earthy colours (with the sky mixed in).

Anonymous said...

Love the way it looks hooked up! Glad you liked the parcel stuffer - I figured it was more exciting stuffing than the local paper!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin