Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Big Fun

Not the usual thing for a Monday evening.  Last night we were treated to a night out on our town.  First we went to dinner at the Beachside Forno.  Now that was a great dinner.  I had mussels which I haven't had in a couple of years.  And we all shared a flatbread starter with duck confit, pears and caramellized onions.  Yum! 

A friend had a couple of extra tickets for a  musical called  "Buddy! The Buddy Holly Story" and invited us.  It's been around a while -  this was the production we saw.  So good.  The energy was exhausting, the music as fresh and infectious as it was when I was 12.  You can see and hear the music on the videos on the link.

Most of the audience was a old enough to remember when this music was new.  Hearing it, seeing it, we were all back there in the invulnerability of youth.  Throwing over the established music of the day and rocking it out.

One of the memories that came back was when  the Big Bopper character came out crooning some lines from 'Running Bear' which he'd written for Johnny Preston.  This was the first 'radio' song that wasn't what my dad listened to that I remember hearing.  Over the airwaves on my little crystal radio all the way from San Francisco - hundreds of miles away - I was hooked!  Always late at night with the sound down low, the signal would be strong for minutes and then fade...then come back.  This was my musical world for months until I discovered that there stations like this much closer to home.

Another memory is, of course, the sadness when all that talent was lost in a plane crash.  Like many landmark events in our lives, this remains in my mind.  I can still remember exactly where I was when I heard the news: standing in my front yard with some friends.  I can't remember who told us or how they found out but I still see the 'moment' and feel the shock.  As tragic as it was then, maybe it's all the sweeter now for being so short-lived. 

Last night was a night for fun - and remembering!

7 comments:

Rudee said...

Y'all have the market on fun completely cornered. Good for you. It sounds like an enchanting evening.

Empty Nester said...

I was only one year old when he passed, but I remember hearing his music and enjoying it through the years! Such a fun night y'all had! I love walking down memory lane...

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

The crash was a few months before I was born but I've heard the music (and loved it) all my life. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Farm Girl said...

I do love that song, when I was little, my parents would go to their friends house and they would play records and dance. But that song was always my Dad's and my song. He was a big man and he would scoop me up and he would sing that song and dance with me. Even after I got to be a teenager, he would put his arms around me and dance and sing.
Such a neat memory. Thanks.

Ginny Hartzler said...

So glad you had such a fun evening filled with memories. Yes, I remember the music, and "the day the music died", as the Don McLean song goes. I had a little radio, it was only an alligator clip hooked up to a wire and earpiece. You put the clip on metal and could hear music, but it would come and go. Would that have been a crystal radio? I never knew what it was.

Cindy of PEI said...

Thanks for the memory. We had something playing here, "The Buddy Holly Story" everyone I think got to see it but me. It sucks to be so busy.

It sounds like you had so much fun. Thanks for the music clip.

Joanna said...

Oh my, I cannot believe that I still remember all the words to Running Bear. I sang along with every stanza.
Now how can I remember that when I have trouble remembering my bank card password?

Sounds like you had a fun evening.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin