Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Front porch chattin'

I'm sure glad we get to head on over to Patrice's front porch this morning.  Here, it's raining and looks like fall.  But the view from her porch is always sunny.  I'm bringing a few carrots for Wendell...he specifically requested a donation today. 

Today's conversation starters get right to the heart of things in a hurry...are you ready?

1.  Did you have a way to earn money as a child or teen?  As a child I was captive to the chores for a weekly allowance cycle.  When I was around twelve, my brother and I shared a morning paper route.  It was hard sometimes to get up and schlep those papers around in the rain.  And not a little spooky sometimes out on the dark, lonely roads. I think we did this for a couple of years.  In high school, I worked at a diner: cooking and serving.   I also worked in the blueberry fields: picking and sorting but that was just in the summer during high school.  


2.  Does your body run hot or cold? (Are you in a sweater/jumper when everyone else is in short sleeves or do you wear a sweatshirt when everyone has on parkas?)  Well, I would say no.  But all the kids say that they need long underwear when they come to visit.  Apparently, it's like a trip to the high Arctic.  Of course, being a knitter, I believe in sweaters.  Being thrifty, I also believe in turning down the thermostat.  I admit to feeling the cold more as I get older.  

3. What's your level of computer savvy?  There's a level to be achieved?  Oh, don't tell me that...I'm so competitive.  I can do what I need to do on my computer.  That's where I'm at.  Remember, I am the Luddite who scorned the iPhone.  'Nuf said.


4.  When you have pasta, do you prefer a red sauce (marinara type) or a white sauce (fettuccine type)?  Red sauce.  My very favorite pasta sauce is a white wine clam sauce - no cream.  I'm not a big fan of creamy anything.

5.  What's your favorite thing to put in brownies?  I like my brownies plain.  I have a recipe that makes a really fudgy brownie.  I don't think additions are necessary.  But that's pretty selfish since I'm  not making (or eating)  brownies much any more.  So, if others want the nuts, I'm happy to throw 'em in the batter.  

So, come on over and visit for a while.   Just point yourself towards Everyday Rurality.  Did I mention that there's chai tea on the menu today?  And, of course, you must meet Wendell - he's the nicest horse.

5 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Our son had a paper route when he was a boy. I also like brownies PLAIN!! And the chewy ones, please. The cake like ones I say no to. If I want that, I might as well eat cake.

Patrice said...

I'm so glad you stopped by the porch this morning.Wendell is happy that you thought of him. He's a great horse. I bet a paper route was hard some days. I was a scaredy-cat as a kid, so going down lonely roads or near spooky looking houses would have freaked me out.
Have a great week.

Angie said...

Broownie recipe please!

Cathy Kennedy said...

I prefer plain browinies, too. But, I'm not at all opposed to throwing nuts in the batch. You can call me, Nutty, if you like. =D

Check out some of my posts...

Wayback Wednesdays…1994
Wednesday: Chit Chat on Patrice’s Farmhouse Porch & Hodgepodge

Have a good day!
Cathy Kennedy, Children’s Author
The Tale of Ole Green Eyes

Farm Girl said...

So very nice to chat with you today.
Isn't funny how we get colder the older we get. So you don't eat sugar either? That is interesting. I feel better when I don't as well.
I am glad you came along. I enjoyed your answers today.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin